Guided tour of the Vatican Necropolis and Saint Peter’s Basilica
Skip the queue (and the stress) and enter the Vatican City State (the smallest state in the world) with this exclusive tour.
The Vatican Necropolis is located 10 metres below St. Peter’s Basilica, underneath the Vatican grottoes, in correspondence with the central nave of the Basilica. It is a Roman cemetery, positioned next to the Circus of Nero, where both pagan and Christian tombs from the period between the 1st and the 4th century coexist. You’ll be able to wander the streets and see the places revered by the earliest Christian civilisation, and make the “pilgrimage of pilgrimages”: it is here in fact that the remains of St. Peter, Christianity’s first “pope”, are buried.
After visiting the Necropolis, the tour continues in St. Peter’s Basilica, Christianity’s most important temple. It is an Italian renaissance church with a central Cupola that dominates Rome’s city skyline. As you cross its threshold, you’ll quickly see that its interior is much bigger than that of any other Cathedral.
The tour will start with one of the greatest masterpieces of all time: Michelangelo’s “Pietà”, following which you will have the opportunity to pay homage to the tomb of St. John Paul II.
In the heart of the Basilica, beneath the high altar and Bernini’s famous “Baldacchino”, you’ll find the “Confessio” or “Chapel of the Confession”. It gets its name from the confession of faith of St. Peter which led to his martyrdom and is located immediately above the purported place of his burial.
You’ll see that the entirety of the interior of St. Peter’s is lavishly decorated with marble, bas-reliefs, sculptures, mosaics and gilded stucco: nothing else comes close to its elegance and magnificence.
So, come and enjoy the most exclusive tour of the Vatican!
DURATIONapprox. 2hrs 30min
RESERVED ENTRYskip the queues to enter the Basilica
GROUPSsmall groups guaranteed (max. 12 people)
GUIDED TOURofficial tour of the Vatican
Departs from: St Peter’s Square –Vatican City
Meeting point: The meeting point is located – as you face the Basilica – on the right-hand side of the square, OUTSIDE the colonnade, in front of the Vatican Post Office (see map). Our staff (wearing blue vests with the Vox Mundi logo printed on them) will be waiting for you 15 minutes before the scheduled start time of the tour to lead you inside the Basilica, through a reserved entrance.
Duration: 2hrs 30min
Times: TUE and THUR – 13:00
Emergency Numbers (on site): +39 348 4852868 – +39 345 6768034
• Entry to the excavations
• Reserved entry
• Audio guides
• Official Vatican guides for both the Necropolis (excavations) and St Peter’s Basilica.
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
• Guided or Audio guided tour of the Cupola
• Shuttle service to and from the Hotel
• Any additional services not previously listed
Reservations may be cancelled up to 24 hours before your tour. Cancellations made after this time will not be refunded.
• While visiting the necropolis, visitors might notice the altered environmental conditions of temperature and humidity. Those who suffer from certain pre-existing conditions (including claustrophobia) that could worsen under these conditions, should not visit.
• Only visitors 15 years or older will be admitted
• Bulky objects (suitcases, large bags, backpacks of any kind, etc.), or photographic equipment are not allowed.
• Appropriate clothing must be worn to enter the Vatican
• Visitors must arrive at the designated meeting point 15 minutes prior to the scheduled tour time and present their ticket/voucher to the tour coordinator/guide. It is the individual responsibility of each visitor to arrive at the meeting point on time. DRESS CODE
• Shoulders and knees must be covered
• Low cut or sleeveless tops and shorts are not allowed, for both men and women
• Visitors that do not adhere to the dress code will not be permitted entry to the Vatican